CASPER, Wyo – According to Casper Fire-EMS, cooking is the number one cause of home fires.
“The number one cause of cooking fires is unattended cooking,” said Andrew Sundell, engineer and public information officer for Casper Fire Live Facebook update from the agency on Friday morning.
Of the 19 emergency calls to which the crews responded on Thursday, two concerned cooking fires in apartment buildings. The incidents required ventilation of the areas but did not result in injuries or displacement, Sundell said.
Article goes below …
Sundell gave three first pieces of advice on cooking fires.
“Our first recommendation is to stay vigilant while cooking and always stay in the kitchen or around anything you cook with,” said Sundell. “This also applies to cooking outdoors.”
In the case of outdoor grills, at least one person should stay at the device so that ânothing gets out of controlâ.
Still, for slower, more reserved cooking techniques like cooking and baking, Sundell recommended that people check in “relatively often”.
Sundell also said he was careful to keep towels, utensils, pot holders, cookbooks and packaging away from stovetops or other sources of heat.
“It’s a pretty easy way to set something on fire,” said Sundell.
Finally, when a kitchen fire breaks out, “we suggest you just go outside,” said Sundell.
Should a kitchen fire occur, Casper Fire-EMS has a target response time of four minutes for each area in the city.
Related stories from Oil City News: