This Easy Shrimp Creole is the perfect recipe to get you out of your dinner. The opposite of boring, it’s loaded with spices, garlic and hot sauce. It uses pantry staples, including canned tomatoes and rice, and doesn’t take long to prepare.
Easy Creole Shrimp Recipe
Practical time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, hand mashed
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning like we used Zatarain’s
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, e.g. B. Louisiana brand
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Thinly sliced spring onions, green part only, for serving
- Boiled rice for serving
In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil is simmering, add the onion, peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes
Stir in the tomatoes, Creole spices, hot sauce, and Worcestershire, bring to a simmer and continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until just opaque.
Remove from the stove and season with salt and pepper. Stir in butter, garnish with spring onions and serve over rice.