Kyrgios says Sydney is pulling out due to COVID-19

0

Nick Kyrgios from Australia returns a ball to Reilly Opelka from the United States (not pictured) at the Aviva Center. Mandatory Credit: John E. Sokolowski – USA TODAY Sports / File Photo

SYDNEY: Nick Kyrgios said Monday that he retired from the Sydney Tennis Classic after a positive COVID-19 test but was hoping to be at the Australian Open next week “if all goes well”.

According to the organizers, Australian Kyrgios withdrew from the Melbourne Summer Set ATP tournament last week due to asthma and was eliminated from his clash with Italian seventh Fabio Fognini on Monday.

“I just want to be open and transparent with everyone. The reason I had to leave Sydney is because I tested positive for COVID,” Kyrgios said on Instagram.

“I feel healthy at the moment and have no symptoms. I wish everyone the best and stay safe where I can. If everything goes well, I’ll see you all at the Australian Open.”

Kyrgios, a crowd favorite in Melbourne Park, has not played since the end of September due to knee problems and has slipped to 114th place in the ranking.

He was excluded from competition for the Australian team at the season opening ATP Cup in Sydney this month.

The 26-year-old only played 15 games in 2021, won seven of them, and will go to the first Grand Slam of the year without any preparatory games.
The Australian Open starts on January 17th.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.