BOSTON, TORONTO and LONDON, November 18, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Manulife Investment Management today published its third annual Sustainable and Responsible Investing Report for its institutional investment management business. The report shows his continued commitment to sustainability as interest in this area continues to grow around the world.
The report documents significant advances in three key areas of the company’s sustainability efforts: ESG integration, active management, and global collaboration to address systemic sustainability issues.
Paul Lorentz, President and CEO of Manulife Investment Management, said: “Our efforts support our clients’ goals and help strengthen the environmental and social foundations that enable the global economy to function. Our priority is to expand our sustainable investment opportunities in public and private asset classes to meet the changing needs of ours To meet customers. “
Advances in Sustainability
- In 2020, Manulife Investment Management had 1,122 interactions with 985 equity and fixed income issuers worldwide and implemented a proxy voting dashboard to disclose proxy voting records.1 There was a deliberate shift in focus from volume-based discussions to results-oriented engagements to address key sustainability risks.
- Manulife Investment Management continued to invest in its sustainability teams, which as of December 31, 2020 had grown from 16 to 25 sustainability experts worldwide.
- The company was one of only 20 investment managers to join the 2020 PRI Leaders’ Group to recognize advanced efforts in climate reporting.
- Building on its advanced ESG integration efforts across all asset classes, the company expanded its sustainability offering by introducing a range of strategies with specific sustainability goals and made a significant impact-first forest investment, primarily used for carbon sequestration and storage.2
Brian Kernohan, Chief Sustainability Officer, Private Markets, comments: “Our goal as asset managers is to generate strong risk-adjusted investment returns for our clients over time, while at the same time having a positive impact on the environment and society through strong stewardship. We believe that a commitment to sustainable investing is necessary for investor success. ”
Peter Mennie, Global Head of ESG Integration and Research, Public Markets, concludes: “We pride ourselves on our contribution to pursuing more sustainable business practices around the world. We believe that incorporating all elements of sustainable investing into our discussions with senior management and using measurable data points to demonstrate progress can help reduce the impact of the material Mitigate sustainability. ” Risks in our portfolios and is geared towards the best interests of our clients in the long term. “
Since becoming a PRI signatory in 2015, Manulife Investment Management has improved its sustainability practices across all asset classes and deepened its engagement in initiatives to address global sustainability challenges.
For more information on the Manulife Investment Management 2020 Sustainable and Responsible Investing Report, click here.
Manulife investment management
Manulife Investment Management is the global brand for the global wealth and asset management segment of Manulife Financial Corporation. We draw on more than a century of financial responsibility and the full resources of our parent company to serve individuals, institutions and pensioners worldwide. Headquarters in Toronto, our leadership skills in public and private markets are strengthened by an investment presence in 18 regions. We complement these capabilities by providing access to a network of independent asset managers from around the world. We strive to invest responsibly in all of our businesses. We develop innovative global sustainable investing environments, work with companies in our securities portfolios, and maintain a high standard of management where we own and operate assets, and we believe in supporting financial well-being through our company pension plans. Today, plan sponsors around the world rely on our experience managing and investing retirement plans to help their employees plan, save, and live for a better retirement.
away September 30, 2021, Manulife Investment Management’s assets under management and under management, including those under management for Manulife’s other segments, were CAD $ 1.1 trillion (US $ 835 billion). Not all offers are available in all jurisdictions. Visit manulifeim.com for more information.
1. The complete data set is not publicly available. Further information is available on request. Proxy voting activities are carried out for public markets managed by Manulife Investment Management Public Markets.
2. We strive to incorporate key ESG considerations into all phases of our investment and asset ownership lifecycle, taking into account the characteristics of the asset class and investment process, industry and geography, among other factors. Each investment team operates in different markets and has different nuances in their investment approach. Accordingly, each team incorporates ESG factors into their investment process in a way that best fits their investment approach.
SOURCE Manulife Investment Management