A A wreath of brioche balls laced with chilli surrounds a baked camembert topped with jam. Expect a taste explosion of sweet and savory.
Preparation time: 40 minutes plus cooling overnight | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 20ml whole milk
- 350g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g quick yeast
- 30g powdered sugar
- 5g salt
- 2 teaspoons of chilli flakes
- 200g dried cranberries, chopped
- 200g unsalted butter, soft and diced
- 1 x 250g Camembert with wooden casing
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp finely grated jam
- Whisk eggs and milk together to work in.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in another bowl and mix together. Add the chilli and cranberries and mix in. Make a well in the middle, add the milk mixture and roughly combine the dough. The mixture looks wet and like cake batter, but don’t worry.
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook, gradually add the butter until everything is used up, then knead the dough for 10 minutes on a fast setting. Cover, put in the fridge and let rise overnight.
- The next day, line a large baking sheet with a little parchment paper. Take the bottom half of the wooden casing that the cheese comes in and place it in the center of the baking sheet. Put the cheese back in the refrigerator.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and beat the air back. Roll out into a sausage shape and divide into five parts. Divide each into five so you have 25 small balls of dough. Press each ball in the middle, turn it with the seam side down and roll it into a ball in your hand. Arrange the first 10 around the wooden cabinet, then the next 15 around them, leaving small gaps for them to prove themselves. Cover with some greased cling film and let rest until the volume has doubled.
- Preheat oven to 190C / convection 170C / gas 5. Take the cheese out of the packaging and slide it into the wooden housing. Brush the dough balls with beaten egg and sprinkle with plenty of salt all around. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the jam spoons to the hot cheese and you are ready to eat.
Nadiya Recipes from Nadiya Bakes by Nadiya Hussain (Michael Joseph, Â£ 22)