Are you looking for quick and easy Halloween bites, recipes, or potluck ideas to serve at a Halloween party? Easy Halloween JalapeÃ±o Mummies are a scary treat and the perfect Halloween finger food.
These super cute mummies are baked jalapeÃ±o poppers with ghostly googly eyes peeking out between layers of baked, flaky crescent roll dough.
Halloween recipe:Harvest your own easy-to-make Pumpkin Patch Cookie Cups
In addition to making a great Halloween starter, these adorable little guys are a healthy after-school snack for your kids.
And who can resist these creepy goodies? Halloween JalapeÃ±o Mummies are a fun Halloween recipe, and they are so simple; even your children can do them.
- As written, this recipe is moderately spicy. If you’re making jalapeÃ±o mummies for young children, you may want to replace Monterrey jack cheese with the pepper jack cheese to take the heat off a bit.
- If you like it spicy, you can leave a few seeds in the peppers.
- You can find the cute googly eyes in the baking ingredients of most grocery stores; They are also available from Michael’s and other hobby stores that sell bakery and confectionery accessories.
- I use a serrated grapefruit spoon to scoop the seeds and ribs out of the jalapeÃ±os. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the peppers and avoid touching your eyes or wearing gloves.
- To prepare this recipe ahead of time, I’ve found that prep and stuffing the peppers up to 24 hours in advance, then cover and store them in the refrigerator, works best. Then, before you are ready to serve, wrap them in batter and bake them. They are best eaten hot.
- Be sure to add the googly eyes right when the mummies come out of the oven while the cheese is still melted so they stick.
Halloween jalapeÃ±o mummies recipe
5 jalapeÃ±o peppers
4 ounces cream cheese soft
4 ounces of pepper jack cheese grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper
20 cute googly eyes
1 can of chilled half-moon roll dough
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Halve the jalapeÃ±o peppers lengthways and scrape out the seeds and ribs.
Mix the cream cheese, paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. You can also use a food processor to mix everything together.
Fill the jalapeÃ±o pepper halves with the cheese mixture. Do not overfill, otherwise the cheese will run out during baking.
Roll out the crescent-shaped dough, leaving the triangles together and pinching the perforations together. You should have two rectangles. Cut thin strips (about 1/3 inch wide) from the batter and wrap two to three pieces around each pepper half. Leave a gap at the top to insert the googly eyes when they’re done.
Do an egg wash by combining the egg and about a tablespoon of water. Mix well. Place the mummies on your baking sheet and coat each one with a thin layer of egg detergent.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the mummies are golden brown.
Take out of the oven and place the sweet, googly eyes in the melted cheese.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Looking for more Halloween recipes? Make sure to check out my roundup post: 50+ Spooktacularly Cute and Easy Halloween Recipes on my blog Grits and Pinecones.
Sharon Rigsby is the blogger behind Grits and Pinecones, a cooking and hospitality blog. Check out all of their recipes by visiting gritsandpinecones.com.
Never miss another story: Subscribe to the Tallahassee Democrat using the link at the top of the page.